The washer dryer combo is an example of a versatile all-in-one washing machine and dryer that takes up a small footprint. The washer dryer combo works like a regular front-loading washer and a regular dryer by taking a single load of laundry all the way from washed, to rinsed, to dry.
Say good-bye to switching loads from the washing machine to the dryer. And, what’s nice is this single 24-inch appliance can be tucked in a closet or under a counter. Another benefit is that washer dryer combos are ventless, so they can be placed anywhere.
In this article, we’ll review the differences and similarities of washer dryer combos and guide you to what fits best in your space.
The term washer dryer combo is often confused by washer and dryer set or laundry center. The picture below will give you a quick idea of the differences between these appliances.
Pros: You Will Benefit From A Washer Dryer Combo If…
- Small footprint – You have a limited space for a washer and dryer.
- Quiet performance – Washer dryer combos use the latest technology.
- Powerful washer – 1400 RPM motor extracts maximum moisture, helps if you simply want to air-dry your clothes instead of taking up a drying cycle.
- Beats taking a trip to a laundromat – Ideal for urban dwellers or for small families.
- Attractive design – Will not be an eyesore if the washer dryer combo is exposed in an open laundry closet/room.
- Wifi connect – Great for remote management and diagnostics.
Cons: Skip This Appliance If…
- Hard to do back to back loads – Be prepared for a 2 1/2 to 3 1/2-hour wash plus dry cycle.
- Not practical for large families – Doing multiple loads in a given day is a challenge with washer dryer combos.
- Long dry time – Drying time is longer than vented machines. Rooms with insufficient air flow and ambient humidity slows down drying.
How Will You Get The Most Out of Washer Dryer Combo
- Install in a room with good ventilation for faster drying results
- Some people take a portion of the laundry out once the wash program is over and air dry it. This saves time during dry cycle for towels and cottons that take time.
- Remove lint after every load.
- Start laundry before going to bed or going to out. When you wake up or come back home you will have a fresh clean load of clothes.
Are There Any Alternate Washer Dryers That I Should Consider?
The compact washer and dryers are space-efficient and offer full functionality while fitting in a tight laundry space; tucked under a countertop; or stacked in a closet or cabinet. With this type of versatility, you can relocate an outdated washer and dryer set from the basement to a hallway or second floor bedroom quite easily.
These smaller, more space-efficient laundry pairs offer the same rich cycles, features, and fabric care as their full-size counterparts. In the compact category, the dryer models are often ventless (with less than a handful of exceptions).
The traditional, standard-sized washer and dryerd are mostly 27-inches wide. They come in front load or top load washer configurations. You can use the set side by side or stackable washer and dryer format. Standard sized washer and dryers offer a host of options, from features to accessories like pedestals and colors and styles, the choices really are endless.
Laundry centers are relics from the ’70s. However, it is not unusual to come across them in larger rental buildings. Due to their small capacity and less than desirable looks we usually do not recommend them.
The LG Wash Tower is a brand new addition to the world of laundry machines. It is the only modern, single unit, washer dryer combo with a full-size washer and vented dryer. It is the only modern washer dryer combo with easy to reach controls in the middle.
What Are The Important Factors To Look Out For Before Making a Purchase?
When shopping for a best washer dryer combo, start with the footprint in your home, estimate how often you will be doing laundry, and how accessible you need your laundry set to be. Maybe you have a smaller space and would like to tuck your washer and dryer combo under a countertop.
As for the machines themselves, there are key distinctions to consider. Dimensions: Are you interested in a 24-inch or 27-inch wide washer dryer combo? Consider the depth. The 24-inch products typically run 25-inches deep whereas the 27-inch models can be over 30-inches.
Electrical: Do you have 220/240 Volt outlet in your laundry room? If not you may want to talk to an electrician if it is feasible to pull a new line. Otherwise, look for a standard voltage 120V washer dryer combo. Keep in mind that 240 Volt models – especially with heat pump dryers perform better than lower voltage competitors.
If you have a tall closet, you might be able to fit a 24-inch compact washer with a ventless dryer on the top. As we mentioned before, separating the washer and the dryer will allow you to do more loads.
Best Washer Dryer Combo 2021
1) Best Overall Washer Dryer Combo from LG: WM3499HVA
Why We Like it:
- Standar 2.3 cu. ft. capacity
- SmartThinQ Wifi Technology expands limit of your laundry room
- TubClean Cycle ensures the machine is always clean
- Cold Wash Technology
- Steam Clean Technology
- 110V power makes it versatile
The 24-inch helps you enjoy all available convenience during your laundry time without compromising. The all-in-one washer dryer makes use of ventless condenser to dry your clothes, eliminating the trouble of venting externally. The 6motion technology incorporates drum moves that help agitate clothes in a gentle yet effective format.
The steam technology feature simply permeates the clothes to take out dirt and foul odors. It enables you to select a cycle, start-stop and finish the wash, and get notifications when the function is completed all from your smartphone. With Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa, you can control your laundry with voice commands.
Width: 24-inch | Height: 33 1/2-inch | Depth: 25 1/4-inch | Capacity: 2.3 cu. ft. | Cycles/Options: 14 | RPM: 1,400 | Color: Graphite Steel | Steam Washer/Dryer: Yes | Voltage: 110V | Energy Star: Yes | Wifi: Yes | Dryer: Ventless Condenser
2) Best Energy Efficiency: Blomberg WMD24400W
Why We Like It:
- Tub Sanitize Cycle
- Ventless Drying System
- Water Cooling Operation
- Wash and Wear Cycle
- Optima Inverter Motor Technology
- Compact 24-inch capacity
Experience optimum conservation of energy and water with the Bloomberg WMD24400W. The machine features an automatic water adjustment system that helps release the exact amount required for each laundry load. It calculates the size of the laundry and uses the precise quantity of water for a thorough rinse.
It offers a fast cleaning cycle for small loads of unsoiled clothes. It also has the recent laundry Technology with easy to use liquid detergent, delivering the best washing conditions for your fabrics. With a ventless drying operation and water-cooled operation, this Bloomberg washer dryer combo is very simple to use.
Width: 23 1/5-inch | Height: 33 1/10-inch | Depth: 23 1/5-inch | Capacity: 1.96 cu. ft. | Cycles/Options: 16 | RPM: 1,400 | Color: White | Steam Washer/Dryer: No | Voltage: 208/240V | Energy Star: Yes | Wifi: No | Dryer: Ventless Heat Pump
3) The Largest Washer Dryer Combo: LG WM3998HBA
Why We Like It:
- 4.5 cu ft. Ultra Large Capacity
- DirectiveDrive Motor uses fewer moving parts for more efficient operation and reduced chances of damage
- SmartDiagnosis for quicker damage detection
- Turbowash technology
- Steam wash technology
- Ventless Condensing Drying System
- Dual LED electronic control Display
Fast forward your laundry time without letting down your standards of the thoroughness with LG WM3998HBA 27-inch washer dryer combo. It is designed to deliver efficient cleaning while reducing wash time with the twin spray nozzle and atomizing rinse feature. The machine comfortable handles eight pounds of cloths in one wash, an upgrade on new front loader combos.
The SmartDiagnosis makes use of the self-detection technology to transfer information to the product customer care. Furthermore, the ColdWash feature uses cold water and upgraded motions of washing to permeate into fabrics. This feature helps you to save more energy on a warm water wash.
Width: 27-inch | Height: 39-inch | Depth: 30 1/4-inch | Capacity: 4.5 cu. ft. | Cycles/Options: 14/12 | RPM: 1,300 | Color: Black Steel | Steam Washer/Dryer: Steam | Voltage: 120V | Energy Star: Yes | Wifi: Yes | Dryer: Ventless Condenser
4) Best Cleaning Performance on a Washer Dryer Combo: GE GFQ14ESSNWW
Why We Like It
- Steam Wash penetrates the fabric and loosens stains while protecting your cloth
- Sanitize cycles enables a deeper clean with High heat to kill bacteria
- Five soil level selections aid you take control of the wash cycle
- Add-a-garment button pauses the operation, opens the door and allows you to add a fabric
- 1,450 RPM motor extracts moisture effectively leaves less work for the dryer
- Detergent, Bleach and Fabric Softener Dispensers
You can wash all your items in less time with the 2.4 cubic feet capacity GE GFQ14ESSNWW washer dryer combo. A small load with lightly soiled items is designed to finish a wash cycle in 33 minutes. The steam wash features helps detergent to penetrate deep in the fibers of your clothing. This loosens hard to fight stains and removes them easily. Steam in combination with hot temperature is ideal for sanitization. Great for families with infants or allergy sufferers.
The machine can be conveniently installed under the counter without an external vent. It washes and dries your clothes in a single step combination washer and dryer that saves space and time.
No need to bother on excessive use of detergent with the automatic dispensers installed in the washer dryer combo. Fabric softener and bleach will release automatically at an optimal point during the wash cycle.
Width: 23 7/16-inch | Height: 33 1/4-inch | Depth: 25 5/8-inch | Capacity: 2.4 cu. ft. | Cycles/Options: 14/3 | RPM: 1,450 | Color: White | Steam Washer/Dryer: Yes | Voltage: 120V | Energy Star: Yes | Wifi: Optional | Dryer: Ventless Condenser
5) Most Popular: LG WM3488HW
Why We Like It:
- Has been on the market for a long time. It is the predecessor of WM3499HVA with lower RPM motor and without the wifi.
- True balance Anti-Vibration System is designed to reduce the noises that emanate from washing operations. It ensures smooth and silent operation in any location in your home.
- SmartDiagnosis helps you detect problems without checking. The app analyses record of special tones emitted by the units and immediately provides solutions to it.
- 6Motion Technology combines six different wash motions for an ultimate cleaning
LG WM3488HW washer dryer combo offers you an effortless laundry time on your piles of jeans, sweatshirts, and towels. It ensures that your large piles of laundry go down in fewer loads with its huge 2.3 cu. ft. capacity. It’s perfect for attachments.
The large size notwithstanding, this compact washer is perfect for apartments, condos, or small spaces. It eliminates stubborn stains with a 158F heated water, thanks to the sanitary cycle feature that comes with the gadget. You can control your wash cycles and download advanced ones with the NFC tag-on Technology.
Width: 24-inch | Height: 33 1/2-inch | Depth: 25 1/4-inch | Capacity: 2.3 cu. ft. | Cycles/Options: 14/8 | RPM: 1,400 | Color: White | Steam Washer/Dryer: No | Voltage: 120V | Energy Star: Yes | Wifi: No | Dryer: Ventless Condenser
6) Bonus: Laundry Center GE GUD27ESSMWW
Why We Like It:
- Separate washer and dryer gives you the freedom and saves time as you can wash and dry at the same time.
- Vented dryer is faster compared to condensing dryers.
What Are the Disadvantages?
- Your laundry room will resemble 1970s. Not the most attractive look.
- Takes up more space than a modern washer dryer combo
- Low RPM motor does not extract maximum moisture during wash cycle this in turn add time in dryer
- Not as gentle on clothes as the front load technology
The GE GUD27ESSMWW is technically not a washer dryer combo. In the industry, we refer this style as a laundry center. However, most people think of the unitary laundry center as a washer dryer combo. In the interest of not dissapointing our readers we included this product as part of our recommendation.
If you are looking for a direct replacement of your old laundry centers the
GE GUD27ESSMWW might be an ideal choice. It comes in 27-inch or 24-inch width and with gas or electric dryer options. GE makes this laundry center in white as well as diamond gray color.
GE recently released the Energy Star certified version of this product the GE GUD27EESNWW at a slighly higher price point and a slightly larger drum capacity. The company also makes a version designed for extended vent lines (a.k.a. long vent version) the GE GUV27ESSMWW.
Just like other laundry centers this washer automatically measures the load size and dispenses the exact amount of water and detergent needed for a clean wash. It dries up your cloth with a four-cycle 800 RPM maximum spin speed. All in all, this unitized laundry center is designed to be a replacement piece for GE rather than a pillar of wash quality.
Width: 26 3/4-inch | Height: 75 7/8-inch | Depth: 30 7/8-inch | Capacity: Washer/Dryer 3.8/5.9 cu. ft. | Cycles/Options: 11 | RPM: 800 | Color: White | Steam Washer/Dryer: No | Voltage: 240V (Gas version 120V) | Energy Star: Yes | Wifi: No | Dryer: Vented
No matter how you cut it, by virtue of having the washer and the dryer in the same box, a washer dryer combo takes a long time to finish a cycle. This still beats going to the laundromat around the corner for a communal laundry experience as well as the expense of a trip to the cleaners.
Do I need to use special detergents in a washer dryer combo?
No, a washer dryer combo uses the standard, supermarket variety high-efficiency detergent. So, there would be no need for an extra expense.
Join the Conversation
See what other Designer Appliances readers are saying.
SIDENOTE. This post was last modified on October 1, 2021. However, we regularly update our content as we test more products and new models are released. We also listen to the feedback of our customers and make changes to our product recommendations based on their experiences. So don’t be surprised if you see some old comments below! Since reader comments contribute to the topic, we have decided not to delete them.