Did you know that there are over 200 French door refrigerators on the market? We don’t blame you if you are overwhelmed by the selection process. Choosing a reliable fridge becomes even more cumbersome as most review sites contain outdated model numbers that are no longer available for purchase.
Our guide below is up-to-date with the latest model numbers. It is designed to help you shop based on your needs concerning style, budget, and performance. We categorized French door refrigerators in four classes: Entry-Level, Mid-Level, Premium, and Luxury.
Why Are French Door Fridges Popular?
A French door refrigerator is the centerpiece of your kitchen. It is the most popular style sold in the US. French door refrigerators now come in many sizes, styles, and colors, which makes them integrate easily into all kitchen types. Therefore, it is not surprising that our best refrigerator brands list for this year has multiple French door models.
The reason for the popularity of French door design stems from the following reasons:
- No need to bend down to reach everyday items from your fridge
- Save energy since you don’t need to open the entire refrigerator to get an item (lately, manufacturers further innovated on this innate feature by adding door-in-door options for high-velocity items)
- Design flexibility even in compact spaces where you don’t have room to swing a massive door (in front of a kitchen island or towards a wall, for example.).
- Impressive styling – different color finishes, singe or double freezer drawer options, 4-door models with flexible use freezer drawers that turn into a refrigerator when you need additional space.
- Integrated smart connectivity features. A host of modern features from cameras that help manage your grocery list to iPad-like interfaces to family communications devices.
Some people classify French door as a bottom freezer refrigerator. While the freezer is under the fridge section we treat French door models as their own category due to their distinct and rich style options (think of 4 doors, fresco drawers and more).
Our Top 5 French Door Refrigerator Picks
Let’s dive into our top picks for French door refrigerators.
1) Best Overall French Door Refrigerator from Bosch: B36CL80ENS
Why we like it
Guaranteed German quality. The long-awaited Bosch refrigerator product is directly made by Bosch factories across the world. Focuses on food preservation under ideal conditions rather than popular gimmicks such as cameras and touch screens that don’t necessarily help with the main task.
36-inch 21.0 cu. ft. Counter-Depth French Door Refrigerator
- Two compressors and evaporators for precise cooling.
- Home Connect wifi to remotely control and monitor.
- Discreet interior water dispenser.
- Great interior design maximizes storage.
This was the only time we were excited about a refrigerator product release in many years. After years of preparation, Bosch unveiled this refrigerator in late 2019. It is the only dual-compressor product on the market at half the price of its luxury up-market competitors.
This Bosch model is also part of our best counter depth refrigerator rankings due to its great price vs performance.
2) Best 4-Door French Door Fridge from Samsung: RF23A9671SR
Why we like it
Modern Samsung refrigerator with 4 door design and without handles. It will fit in any kitchen design. The convertible fridge/freezer compartment is unique.
36-inch 23.0 cu. ft. Counter-Depth French Door Refrigerator
- Sleek, 4-door handle-less design
- Convertible fridge, freezer compartments for maximum flexibility
- Counter-depth design frees up the kitchen footprint
- Door-in-door food showcase gives quick access to frequently used items
- Convenient, flexible shelves and drawers
When on sale, you can find this top-rated refrigerator for just under $3,000. Samsung utilizes a unique 4-door design that is extremely useful. While the top two doors are reserved for the main refrigerator compartment, the bottom two are convertible and can be independently set as either a refrigerator or freezer. This is a great way to pick up additional refrigeration space if you don’t fully use your freezer.
This refrigerator is counter-depth, so it won’t stick out into your kitchen like standard depth models, freeing up valuable kitchen space. Its sleek handleless design saves additional overall depth.
Other notable features include Samsung’s “food showcase” door, which gives you access to frequently used items like milk and condiments without having to open the main refrigerator door. You also get convenient, flexible shelves (that fold or move) and drawers that make organizing your food a breeze. Samsung also makes this model in a standard depth size RF29A9071SR if you are looking to pick up additional storage space.
And for tech-savvy families, check out this same model with Samsung’s Family Hub RF28T5F01SR. You’ll lose the food showcase feature we mentioned before. However, you’ll pick up the latest in smart home technology. It’s full 21.5-inch exterior touchscreen, and hands free voice assistant give you access to tons of integrated features like the ability to sync calendars, share photos, stream music, mirror your Samsung devices directly onto the screen, and remotely check if you have milk and eggs in the fridge thanks to its three built-in cameras.
3) Best Budget French Door Fridge from GE: GNE27JYMFS
Why We Like It
Great price and features while boosting the largest capacity of any similarly priced refrigerator.
36-inch 27 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator
- Large 27 cu. ft. capacity
- Unique in-door water dispenser frees up the door for storage
- Adjustable spill-proof shelving
- Large deli drawer
- Humidity controlled drawers for optimal storage of fresh produce
At under $1,999 when on sale, this GE refrigerator boasts the largest capacity of any refrigerator closely priced, with about 27 cu. ft. of capacity.
GE has uniquely built their water dispenser into the refrigerator door, so you won’t lose valuable interior door storage like with most models with an external ice and water dispenser. Ice maker is automatic and uses filtered water, This model also has adjustable shelves spill-proof shelves, a large deli drawer, and humidity controlled drawers for optimally storing fresh produce.
4) Maximum Capacity French Door from LG: LRFDS3016S
This LG refrigerator falls in the over $3,000 price range and offers a category-leading 30 cu. ft. of storage. That is a massive amount of space and should give you plenty of room for all of your groceries. The one caveat to watch out for is the overall depth of the refrigerator. The depth of this unit, including handles, is 36 5/8” which means it will stick out into your kitchen by a little over a foot past your cabinets. If you have a large kitchen, it is probably not an issue, but if you have a tight walking pathway, you’ll need to be mindful of this.
36-inch 29.7 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator with Craft Ice
Besides sheer storage capacity, this unit boasts a ton of great features. Craft ice is now standard on this fridge. These large, spherical ice cubes melt slow and are ideal for long drinks.
In addition, LG is now offering its new high-end French door fridges with a fingerprint-proof coating. Cleaning large stainless surfaces is not trivial and the “PrintProof Coating” will help keep your LG looking clean and new.
Similar to our top pick Samsung, LG also features a door-in-door design that gives you quick access to frequently used items.
LG’s unique dual ice maker is great if you entertain a lot. In addition to the ice maker built into the refrigerator door, LG also has an ice maker drawer in the freezer. This is great when you need a large quantity of ice.
The water dispenser includes LG’s “measured fill” feature, which precisely dispenses water in increments from 2 ounces to 32 ounces to perfectly fill your water vessel.
And finally, this fridge is WiFi connected, so you’ll be able to get smartphone alerts if someone left the refrigerator door open. You can also tell your fridge to start making more ice if you are having a party. It’s also Alexa, and Google-Assistant enabled.
5) Best Luxury French Door Refrigerator: Sub Zero BI36UFDSTH
Why We Like It
The Sub Zero refrigerator is the only brand that is built to last for 20 years or more. Proven track record of superior customer service.
36-inch 19.0 cu. ft. Built-In French Door Refrigerator
- Built-in luxurious look with 84-inch height
- Design flexibility with panel ready or stainless steel door panel. You can even customize the top louvered panel. Install flush to cabinets or stand slightly proud.
- Interior Illumination with LED lights
- Crispers and deli drawers are located near the evaporator to maintain temperatures a few degrees cooler than the rest of the fridge. Drawers are sealed to capture humidity and provide freshness.
SubZero is unmatched when it comes to food preservation technology. Your groceries will last longer thanks to its microprocessor-controlled air quality system, true dual compressor system, and patented vacuum-sealed doors. This built in refrigerator is designed to prevent the odor and flavor transfer between the fridge and the freezer.
The BI36UFDSTH stands 84 inches tall and has a built-in look that you can easily customize with cabinet wood panels, stainless steel, and louvered top.
Sub Zero refrigerators are known to have a 20-year life span and instantly increase the resale value of your home. Available French door fridge sizes include 36-inches or the unique 42-inches, which is becoming very popular.
The aim of this article was to give you a starting point when it comes to selecting the best French door refrigerator for your home. Models we included cover different styles and budgets. A final word of caution. Make sure to measure your space and compare it against the dimensions of your new French door refrigerator. This way you will eliminate a heap of problems on the day of delivery.
Join the Conversation
See what other Designer Appliances readers are saying.
SIDENOTE. This post was last modified on October 9, 2021. However, we regularly update our content as we test more products and new models are released. We also listen to the feedback of our customers and make changes to our product recommendations based on their experiences. So don’t be surprised if you see some old comments below! Since reader comments contribute to the topic, we have decided not to delete them.